In a dream, a vision of the night [one may hear God’s voice], When deep sleep falls on men while slumbering upon the bed.
I recently had a dream. When I was awakened I knew instantly it was from the Lord. You see, at times but not always, the Lord speaks to me in dreams in the same manner in which He speaks to me when I am awake. Let me explain: the Lord often speaks to me through the gifts He’s so graciously bestowed upon me -two of which are words of wisdom and words of knowledge. In my dream, I was inquiring of the Lord regarding two caution points that didn’t make sense in my mind and they left my spirit unsettled. After asking the Lord in the dream, He replied and answered, revealing a word of knowledge for each caution point.
When I have these types of dreams and especially if I am awakened from this type of dream, I know it is from the Lord and is about a current day issue. Rather, I should say, I have come to learn this is how He speaks to me in dreams. Certainly, I have other dreams too, some are bizarre pizza dreams, I’ve had instruction dreams, comfort dreams, some are imparting assurance He is with me, at times warning dreams, prophetic dreams often with symbolic meaning that have led to intercession, and even angelic dreams.
How about you: have you had any dreams lately? How is the Lord speaking to you?
Let’s look at few scriptures regarding dreams and learn how the Lord has spoken in dreams to those who have gone before us.
- God said in a dream [Gen 20:6] God came in a dream to Abimelech [Gen 20:3]
- God also came in a dream by night to Laban [Gen 30:24] The Angel of God said to me in a dream, Jacob and I said, “Here am I?” [Gen 31:11]
- Now Joseph dreamed a dream. [Gen 37:5,6]
- Then it came to pass, at the end of two full years, that Pharaoh had a dream; and behold, he stood by the river. [Gen 41:1]
- At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, “Ask! What shall I give you?” [1Kings 3:5]
- The prophet who has a dream, let him tell a dream;And he who has My word, let him speak My word faithfully.What is the chaff to the wheat?” says the LORD. [Jer 23:28]
- I saw a dream which made me afraid, and the thoughts on my bed and the visions of my head troubled me. [Dan. 4:5]
- Then, being divinely warned in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed for their own country another way. [Matt. 2:12]
Finally, when we read in the book of Acts we see that the Lord not only desires to give dreams but that He desires to continue to speak in our dreams. Perhaps even tonight, to you, friend.
‘And it shall be in the last days,’ says God,
‘That I will pour out My Spirit upon all mankind;
And your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
And your young men shall see [divinely prompted] visions,
And your old men shall dream [divinely prompted] dreams;
When I was awakened from the dream, immediately I shared it with John, my husband. We prayed together regarding the dream as well as for our family about the word of knowledge that the Lord revealed, in the dream.
I had an unction in this dream that I was to share it with a specific person because of how they serve and minister to the Lord, noting to them to be on guard as the enemy can be subtle in his schemes. As the Lord in his grace would have it, I ran into this person that same day. I shared the dream simply out of sheer obedience explaining the word of knowledge over the two caution points, and beyond my human understanding the dream was confirmed. We were able to pray together, possibly sparring our dear friend from the schemes of the adversary, I believe. Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. [2 Corth. 2:14]
I share this dream not to draw attention to myself but to reveal the heart of the Father through the presence of the Holy Spirit as we co-labor in all things unto Him. For the Father is all knowing and full of grace and truth. [John 1:14; John 12:49,50]
As we embark on learning that He is the one initiating, lavishing His love, and supplying an answer to our requests through dreams, we too can relate our dreams to hearing from the voice of God as we have read in the scriptures above. What we are truly learning is to respond to His voice as we search the matter out.
Proverbs. 25:2 says, It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter. Psalms 44:21 Would not God search this out? For He knows the secrets of the heart.
With that said, I’d like to touch on a few practical tips and key principals.
- Write your dreams down.
- Ask the Lord to illuminate light and truth. Many times as I am writing a dream out the Lord begins to enlighten me with the interpretation as well as bring scriptures to mind; you want to capture that on paper!
- Use dates.
- Draw pictures or symbols if you can’t find the right words for what you’ve seen in your dream.
- Almost all dreams that are from the Lord are going to be dreams with a message for you such as encouragement, instruction, comfort, and impartation.
- Almost all dreams are symbolic – a night parable, one might say.
Once when traveling out of town we stayed the night at a friend’s home and that evening the Lord gave me a dream for my friend. It highlighted the word, Ode. I had no idea of the meaning or ever recall seeing that word before. I looked it up using the Webster’s and Wikipedia and it proved to hit a love cord for her, the one it was intended for. I share that to say, the Lord is not trying to make it complicated nor should we. John 10:27 The sheep that are My own hear My voice and listen to Me; I know them, and they follow Me.
Fear is NOT of the Lord. If you are experiencing fearful dreams I would suggest either you are simply processing your own fears or anxieties through your dreams. Clue in on the subject matter of your dream and if you sincerely feel the same way during your awake hours, it’s likely revealing a fear. The other possibility is it could be a demonic attack in the night. Please know, above all, the enemy is a coward. That is one reason he attempts to come at night. You have been given power in the Name of Jesus to resist and rebuke your enemy, and as you do, it will lead you to gain peace.
Lastly, the Word of God is our source of truth and life that which supplies our spiritual nourishment. If the Lord is to convey a message in our dreams it will likely be confirmed alongside of His Word. If you want to hear from God we have 66 Books in the Bible. There you will learn the language of Heaven to earth.
Let us keep looking unto to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. Heb.12: 2
In His watchful care ~
Debbie 4 Unfolded Hearts Ministry